www.swedauk.org

Somerset and Wessex Eating Disorders Association Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't rest
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am 

I think my body is starting to tell me that I'm doing too much.
My GP keeps telling me to rest all the time, the last time I went to the doctors, my blood pressure was really low and when I stand up my heart rate speeds up.
I can rest in the mornings, but after I have something to eat I feel like I have to be on the go for about 3 hours until I can sit back down again, then after I've eaten at tea time I will do the washing up, have a coffee then pack the washing up away, then I will sort of relax for the rest of the night.

I wish I could just sit still and do as the doctor says, but number 1. I feel I should be burning off what I've eaten and number 2. I get very bored.
But now I'm struggling to find things to keep me busy, so I'm getting depressed because I feel if I don't find something to do, then I'm going to put on weight !wall!

Post subject: Re: Can't rest
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

I know exactly what you're going through as I was very similar, and it can be remarkably difficult to slow down and take care of yourself. It is important though as by pushing yourself constantly and not eating enough will grind you down and can eventually make you very ill, or worse.

Like a lot of things that we need to change around eating disorders, it's often about taking small steps, practicing and moving on. Could you allow yourself a little extra time out each day and perhaps build up over time? Being bored or struggling with the eating disorder voice because we're not moving can be tough but there are things we can do. I tended to find reading a bit much but did enjoy crossword books as they would keep my mind occupied but could be done in 'fits and starts' without losing the thread. My partner, and I think a lot of people, found crafts really helpful, things like card making, cross stitch or whatever.

I do hope that you're able to take more time to look after yourself, do take care and good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:12 pm 

Thanks for the reply Paul (I didn't think anyone was going to reply to me).
I have been very suicidal recently, to the point where I have been so close to od'ing, but something stops me (thinking about my husband i think).

I'm just hoping that my assessment on Tuesday will bring some light to the matter and I'm actually looking forward to being an in-patient and they can sort me out once and for all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Admin

I'm glad that something has been stopping you over-dosing, and it may well be thinking about your husband, it's still worrying though and I do hope that you're able to talk about it at your assessment on Tuesday (sometimes writing a few notes can be useful if you're worried that you might forget things).

I do hope that it goes well on Tuesday and that you're able to talk about what's going on for you and perhaps get some clarity around the inpatient admission. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:23 am 

hey
if its any consolation I feel the same...I have to keep busy and moving all day...its tough but just another symptom of this crappy illness.
I hope this week is easier for you xxxxxx